Hola peeps! Summertime is finally here and I hope that you are enjoying it! However with my favorite time of the year comes humidity, scorching temps, and random rain showers so we must keep our curls in check. On that note I have listed 8 products (stylers) that can help you through it all…some I’ve tried and others I plan to try. Let’s get to it!
- Curls Unleashed Curl Boosting Jelly—I have yet to try this but I have read reviews that was on both ends of the spectrum. This is a gel that aims to define curls without the crunch. Well I am pretty much sold as I love a good gel! I guess that this would be perfect for wash and gos and slicking down edges.
- Miss Jessie’s Curl Pudding—Tried and true to it’s word this pudding goes on smooth, smells great and is not sticky. It does provide a good hold and definitely defines curls, my only gripe is that my hair looked dull once it dried. This is great for a WnG, 2 strand twists and bantu knots.
- Jane Carter Solution Curl Defining Cream—This is a fantastic cream for dry kinky strands that needs that extra bit of moisture. I have tried this on my WNG and twists before and the results were great! Also this cream is good at slicking down edges when you want to rock a bun.
- Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream—This is a very rich cream that is great at moisturizing tresses and serves as a protectant against harmful rays (IMO). Of course I tried this on my WnG but also found out that it provides a good hold for braid outs as well.
- Curls Gel-Les’C—As of yet I haven’t tried this product but lots of curlies are raving about it. However I think that this gel may be best for finer curl textures (i.e. 3A-3B) and would probably be great for to use on WnG with a soft hold.
- Shea Moisture Curling Gel Souffle—This is a beloved brand within the natural hair community and many love this gel as well. I reviewed this product a few years ago (go here to read) and it wasn’t the greatest for me. However when paired with their Curl Enhancing Smoothie to do two strand twists expect a luscious, fluffy twist-out the very next day.
- Carol’s Daughter Styling Pudding—I’m intrigued by this product because I am unsure if this similar to their infamous Hair Milk wrapped in new packaging or if it is a new formula altogether. I would guess that the consistency would be creamy yet not too thick since it is a “pudding”, perhaps this would work best to set hair for a flexi-rod set or a bantu knot-out.
- Shea Radiance Maximum Curl Defining Cream—This cream is suppose to gently hold, resist humidity and define curls so I would try using this with braid-out. I would guess that it would give a controlled voluminous look.
So there you have it, 8 products to get you through the summer months. Gel, pudding, cream and soufflé…there is something for everyone and every style imaginable. I am sure that I left out quite a few however don’t be shy, leave a comment below and let me know. I challenge you (and myself) to explore and have fun with our hair during the best season of the year. Enjoy!